Pages


jawanmcginnis (at) yahoo (dot) com

search box


Google This blog

Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Stranger Danger

The weather was absolutely beautiful today. It was somewhat cool and downright breezy. So, after naptime, I took all three kids outside where we stayed for almost three hours! During this time, we played in our side yard and talked to the neighbor's dogs through her fence. I had already made a mental note that I was the only neighbor at home among the four houses in our circle. I then took quick notice of a small hunter green pickup truck driving into our culdesac (sp?), stopping just in front of my driveway. I see it's a company truck bearing the company's web address and logo (something about a cattle exchange, hence the deep freezer chained in the bed of his truck. That is a scary thought in itself). As I turn to acknowledge the driver with a nod, I see him (and he's a very big man) roll down his window, look me in the eye and loudly ask something in southern English gibberish. I politely say, "I'm sorry, I didn't understand you." I guess he repeats the same thing to which I reply, "Huh?".

At this point I am thinking that he's trying to be funny...but I am not amused.

Next, I watch him unbuckle his seat belt and open his truck door. This is when my body language took a firmer position, I held out my stiffened arm and hand (imagine a traffic cop) and I harden my eyes and tone of voice, saying, "No, no, no, no, no.....you don't need to get out of your car. You will not come over here. Stay in your truck, sir. What is it that you want?".

He replied, "A million dollars", and drove off in a hurry, making sure to spin out at the stop sign.

I think he was insulted that I got defensive - but, come on, man! Are you crazy? Do you not think a mother with three small children, alone on her personal property would just welcome a stranger (especially a large man in a truck carrying a deep freezer, making no sense with his words) to speak to her, uninvited? My first thoughts were for the safety of my children and I promise I would have screamed bloody murder for all the neighborhood to hear if he had taken one foot out of that truck towards us.

Well, Mom, I hope I didn't scare the heebie-jeebies out of you.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Once when I was driving home from Auburn this man in a Semitruck followed me for about an hour. He was riding really close to my bumper and I was freaking out a little. Then when I came to a stop light he pulled up beside me with a peice of paper indicating for me to pull over. Well, baby, I gunned it. I was terrified. I called my Dad and let him see me with my cell phone glued to my ear. Then I glanced at him again and the note read "back left tire, low". I felt idiotic but mad at the same time. When I indicated to him I understood he left me alone. But seriously, I don't care if my tire was low (dad says it was a little but not much) I would never ever just pull over like that. Is he an idiot or what? But like my dad said, if he was a gentleman he would have known a young girl alone in her car would not have pulled over. So whether he was trying to be a good samaritan or not, that was not the smartest way to get my attention.

I'm glad you guys are ok. I love what you did. It was very smart.

Wanda said...

Well, you have scared the heebie-jeebies out of me, so I have decided none of you can go outside ever again without Mitch! ha. That's the reason I hate the thoughts of children playing outside alone. I know you don't allow your/my babies to do that, and I'm thankful. I'm sure this will make you even more cautious. Thank you, sweetheart, for being such a wonderful mom. I love you. Mom.

Mark and Abbie's blog said...

Very scary! Reminds me of the time that my oldest was small and I saw plain clothes police men (of course I didn't know they were policemen) running through my yard. I was scared to death and let our dog stand outside to bark defensively. When my husband got home, he talked with a sheriff's officer and was informed there was a major drug bust two houses down! Yikes! We were blessed we didn't know that and that we were safe during our ignorance!

Kimmipeach@gmail.com said...

Praise God that He protected you!! I am very glad that ya'll are safe. People are crazy!

Joni M said...

Well my dear you scared the heebie-jeebies out of me too! But very quick, smart thinking of you to take the firm stand that you did.Situations like this just make my heart cry in that children these days can't enjoy being outside playing without our fear for their safety! But Praise the Lord that He kept you all safe...and in the future, if you have one--put a whistle on a long cord around your neck for such a time as this when you might need something more agressive than just a loud voice...and get some spare whistles for the kids too if they are planning on playing a distance from you, as long as they understand why you've given them one to wear and they know to only blow it in an emergency...you'll be surprised at the help that flies your way when that becomes your signal for help...hugs and smooches to you all! btw--what a handsome picture of Andrew on his first day of school!!! And whoa, Luke's lunch looked pretty cool too! What a special Mommy you are!