Pages


jawanmcginnis (at) yahoo (dot) com

search box


Google This blog

Sunday, August 24, 2008

Can't stand to lose

BEDTIME: After reading a book and saying a prayer, I typically race Andrew from the floor to the bed, teasing about being the "rotten egg". I have always let him win. Tonight, whether it be because I was ready for bedtime to find closure or because I wanted to teach him that he can't always be the winner, I beat him to the bed. Let's just say he didn't like losing. He begged to race again. Letting him do this would not have been a wise choice. It made him more angry to hear me gently tell him "no". He continued to cry and I continued to ignore his plea. After many songs, kisses, and hugs, I exited his room.

My heart is just as greedy. My heart is just as self-righteous. I want my way all the time. Do I take "no" as an answer with a satisfied heart? Do I beg and manipulate to make things work the way I wish them to be? I certainly try.

Sin is ugly.
I hate my flesh.

But I love the gospel. The gospel is beautiful and it exposes my nastiness. I thank God for that.

Lord, help me to love your ways more than my own. Help me to love your law. Most of all, help me to love Jesus so that I yearn to follow Him.

No comments: