Pages


jawanmcginnis (at) yahoo (dot) com

search box


Google This blog

Thursday, August 21, 2008

Easy mac-n-cheese

Ok, I don't do a whole lot of cookin' from scratch (Holly, you are encouraging me, though), but I found this super duper easy recipe for some mac-n-cheese that I just had to try. I've always been in love with this noodlely (is that word? Well, it is for my blog) side dish and have always admired anyone who made their own. Actually, I kind of like the Kraft-in-a-box but it doesn't compare to this. I can't take the credit, though. I'm not sure which blog I got this recipe from but I sure am glad "she" posted it. I will definitely make this dish again. It was divine.

Recipes with only 3-4 ingredients are right up my alley, so.....here's the deal-io:

The amount of ingredients depends on the size of your baking dish. These amounts are assuming you use a 2 quart casserole dish.

Ingredients:
2 cups elbow macaroni
1 lb Cheddar cheese grated (using the pre shredded doesn’t taste the same, the melting texture is different)
½ cup milk

Topping:
1/2 c. parmesean cheese
2 tbsp. butter (softened)
1 c. breadcrumbs
Mix these together.

1. Boil the macaroni and drain.
2. Place a small amount of cheese in the bottom of the casserole dish, layer half of the macaroni and then half of the remaining cheese and repeat.
3. Your top layer of cheese should cover all macaroni pieces.
4. Pour the milk around the entire top of the dish.
5. Spread the topping mixture to cover the top of the dish.
6. Place in a preheated 350 degree oven for approximately 30-35 minutes.

You should see no trace of the milk on the bottom and the top should be golden brown and crusty (you will fight to the death over the crusty top layer!).

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jawan, this looks awesome. I am a huge mac-and-cheese addict too and do make my own....but this topping is one I haven't tried. Yum!

Also I had to tell you I was reading your blog this morning and Vincent came up and wanted to know what I was looking at. As soon as he saw the picture of Abigail, he started smiling and saying, "Baaa-by! Baaa-by!" so excited! So cute.

Jenn said...

I can't wait to make this

Unknown said...

This sounds sooo good. Don't be fooled by my homemade cooking- I also have Easy Mac, Poptarts (at least they're whole grain), and Campbell's Soup in my pantry at all times.