Pages


jawanmcginnis (at) yahoo (dot) com

search box


Google This blog

Tuesday, June 24, 2008

My first oil painting

I've always loved painting with acrylics but have never dabbled in oils before. I've got a few friends who will be having baby girls soon so I thought I'd experiment with oils by making something for one of them (I won't mention any names). I had so much fun with this project and can't wait to do more.


Note to self: It takes quite some time for the oils to dry. It's been three days and the canvas is still wet. I wonder how long I'll be waiting....

3 comments:

amy said...

Yes, humidity in the South is a killer! It sometimes takes a week or more to dry out oils here--your painting is great!

Anonymous said...

Yes, that is precisely the reason I both love and hate oils! With the longer drying times you have more room to fudge a little on your work, however, I cannot work with oils anymore because of the smell. It just really gets to my head and being pregnant I cannot tolerate it. I'm an acrylic girl. I don't like to get real messy and acrylics clean up nice. But I have found other oil based paints that clean rather well with soap and water. They are a little more expensive though.

Your painting is adorable. Makes me want to be creative and do something myself! Congrats. I'm an Art Major so I eat this stuff up!

Anonymous said...

6 months is the answer for the drying, especially in the South! That's what I've been told anyways. We missed you this week. The Austin's are having a going away open house at their house tomorrow. 4-7. Please call for directions and please stop by!