Pages


jawanmcginnis (at) yahoo (dot) com

search box


Google This blog

Sunday, December 14, 2008

Luke is three today

Three years ago today, our middle child, Luke, was born. What joy!


Luke, you make me smile everyday. You make me proud everyday. Everyday, I am thankful for you. I love you bunches, dude. I love watching you learn about who God is and I can see that the gospel is at work in your heart. I watch you in the rear view mirror as you stare out the window, pointing, gasping, moving your lips as you wonder, and looking to me to explain unknown sights.

You love singing about Jesus and telling me the stories of how he healed people. You especially love the story of when Jesus spat on the ground and smeared the mud into the blind man's eyes, causing him to see (John 9:6). Yeah, be careful where you spit, little man.

I love how God has sprinkled your tiny face with just a few freckles. Seeing that I'm covered in them from head to toe, it does my heart good to see that you got a little of me in (on) you. You are a true ball of energy. When you do something, you do it with all of your might. Sometimes your might hurts, but I'll take it. All those times when your might has accidentally kicked me in the gut, knocked me in the ear, or slid vertebrae out of socket, I enjoyed being your playmate.

Of course, there is that one thing you do that drives me bonkers: screaming at the top of your lungs when you're frustrated, or when you scream at the top of your lungs when you're excited, or when you scream at the top of your lungs when you're scared. Granted, I'm glad you're happy and that you look to me when you're scared....but, seriously....must you scream ALL THE TIME?!?!?!?!


Oh yeah, do you want your shirt on? No, off....Ok....off...huh? On? Ok, I'll help. Oh, you don't want me to help? You wanna do it all by yourself? Ok....well, don't get frustrated. I said I'd help you. Just slide that sleeve off your arm....no, I'm not helping you. I didn't touch the sleeve, I promise. Can I please help you get your head out of the hole? I know your nose is stuck and I can help you if you'll let me. Stop screaming, please.


Thanks for finally letting me clip your toenails and fingernails. They were getting a bit disgusting there for a while.

Thanks for being all cuddly here lately. You're not a very affectionate child and will only kiss and hug on your own terms. I have enjoyed the moments of snuggle time you've initiated toward me within the past few weeks. Please don't stop.

Thank you for showing me respect. You always ask permission to do anything before you do it. "Mama, can I have some gum? Mama, can I have a snack? Mama, can I have some juice?". Granted, your questions are usually geared toward food that you can't obtain without some help. But I appreciate your respect and polite tone of voice. More time than not, you take NO for an answer very well.


I could go on and on about all that I love about you, Luke Duke. You are a blessing to us and have shown us the deep deep love of Jesus through your days. We could ask for nothing more.

No comments: