Pages


jawanmcginnis (at) yahoo (dot) com

search box


Google This blog

Sunday, February 17, 2008

1989 Steel

I'm not a Shirley McClain fan but I absolutely love her character, Quiser, in the movie Steel Magnolias. I watched it AGAIN last night on some random TV station. Cried over and over. I love it when M'Lynn is pouring her heart out after Shelby's death and screams that she just wants to hit something to make herself feel better. Such a funny move when Clairee pushes Quiser out and declares M'Lynn to just "hit her!".

Anyway, here are a few other of my favorite Quiser quotes:


I'm not crazy, I've just been in a very bad mood for the past 40 years!

The only reason people are nice to me is because I have more money than God.

And my all time favorite Quiser quote from the movie:

Ouiser: Yes, Annelle, I pray! Well, I do! There, I said it, I hope you're satisfied.

Annelle: I suspected this all along!

Ouiser: Oh! Well don't you expect me to come to one of your churches or one of those tent-revivals with all those Bible-beaters doin' God-only-knows-what! They'd probably make me eat a live chicken!

Annelle: Not on your first visit!

Clairee: Very good, Annelle! You've spoken like a true smart-&%@!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

That scene after the funeral that you quoted is the exact conversation that I start sobbing-EVERY TIME! So now I've been on a Steel Magnolias hiatus for the past 10 years, trying NOT to willingly submit myself to such torture. But I do love it!

Anonymous said...

or there is Claree's "You know I love you more than my luggage."
I love that show.
~Mad

Amy said...

Love the movie. Shane loves it too. Isn't that funny!?

Here's some more:
Truvy-"What are your colors?"
Shelby- "My colors are blush and bashfull."
M'Lynn- "Her colors are pink and pink...The sanctuary looks like its been hosed down with pepto bismol."
Shely- "I like pink. Pink is my signature color..."

Shelby about M'Lynn- "You can't screw up her hair. You just tease it and make it look like a brown football helmet."

Annelle about her personal life-- "My personal tragedy will not interfere with my ability to do good hair."

Ouiser Boudreaux: I'm pleasant. Da** it! I saw Drum Eatenton at the Piggly Wiggly this morning, and I smiled at the son of a ***** 'fore I could help myself.

and one more:
Clairee: M'LYNN, YOU JUST MISSED THE CHANCE OF A LIFETIME! HALF O' CHIQUAPIN PARISH'LL GIVE THEIR EYE-TEETH TO TAKE A WHACK O' OUISER!

Amy Self

Kimmipeach@gmail.com said...

my faves are

"we could sell t-shirts that say I WHACKED OISER."

and

"laughter through tears is my favorite emotion."