Pages


jawanmcginnis (at) yahoo (dot) com

search box


Google This blog

Tuesday, September 02, 2008

Chores: Love 'em, Hate 'em

* Chores I like to do:

1. Sweep, sweep, and sweep = I really do like to sweep...especially the kitchen floor where all the cheerios seem to fall, Cheese-It cracker crumbs gather, and dirt is trekked in from outside (I don't, however, enjoy cleaning the bits and pieces of bananas and strawberries because, come on, we all know they never entirely dry out. Yuck!). The one thing I like most about sweeping is the mental grid of the floor I imagine as I repeat the sweeping motion. I like seeing the pattern of dirt go from "crumbs spread out everywhere" to "crumbs now all in a pile".

2. Clean the toilet = Thanks to the new toilet wand and scrubber inventions, cleaning the potty has become quick and easy. No more washing with a cloth while on my knees. Not to mention that I would always throw that washcloth away because I could never use it again after it had made its presence in the toilet bowl.

3. Dusting = I don't do this chore as often as I should only because I don't really notice the dust. Oh, believe me, it's there....I guess it just doesn't bother me as much as it bothers others. I especially love finding a spot in the house that hasn't been dusted in a V-E-R-Y long time (except for the fan). Making shapes and words in the dust is fun....that is until the dust bunnies start flying everywhere and the sneezing begins. It's also not fun anymore when you have to keep your 14 month old child from eating the flying lint balls. Anyway, I got to enjoy this chore on Labor Day. We had our small group over for a cookout so I spent all of that morning cleaning. I don't think I had dusted the top of our entertainment center since we moved in over 17 months ago. I should be embarrassed to admit that but our entertainment center is VERY tall!

4. Making the bed = Simply put, making the bed makes my room look so much neater. Take it from me, considering all the piles of "stuff" in my room, it needs all the help it can get.

* Chores I hate.to.do:

1. Loading & unloading the dishwasher = I suppose that I should be thankful I have a dishwasher. My mother doesn't have one and she actually enjoys hand washing her dishes. Then again, she doesn't have three small children to clean up after nor has multiple bowls full of dried cereal to pick off. Anyway, I know she's been there and done that. Unloading the dishwasher creates more misery for me than loading it. There's not a lot of thinking or moving around on my part when I simply put nasty smelly dishes in the washer. However, when I unload, I have to check all the dishes for food debris, shake off the water excess, and then file it away in it's proper place. After typing that, I sound so lazy.


2. Folding clean laundry = I hate it so much that I don't even want to think about writing anymore about it.

3. Changing bed sheets = The fitted sheet is a pure joy to put on. It just grabs the edges of the mattress for me so I have little work to do. The top sheet, however, is what I hate. You have to mentally measure the top from the bottom and how low/high it hangs off the sides and then tuck it in at the foot and end sides of the bed. Of course, changing a twin bed isn't so bad unless it's positioned against a wall like both of my boys' beds are. But, it's not as time consuming as changing the sheets on our queen size bed that requires constant climbing and walking around to make sure the top sheet is just right. Putting the duvet or comforter on is my favorite, though. It somehow knows just how to fall into place.

4. Cooking (is that a chore?) = I hate to cook. I seem to always ruin a recipe that I followed to a T. It's frustrating. So, I stick to the four or five meals I make well and just repeat them each week. I kid you not. I'm just thankful I have a husband who loves chicken, pork, and beef. At least I try to change it up in how I cook those three meat items. It doesn't get anymore creative than that, folks.

Ok, so, what's the spiritual application here, Burt? Ummmm....even though I hate performing the last few chores mentioned, I can still find great joy in completing them. They are chores that have to get done or no one would have dishes to eat off of or clothes to hide their nakedness. This makes me happy.
So, whether you eat or drink, or whatever you do, do all to the glory of God.
1 Corinthians 10:31

I enjoy my role as homemaker and doing repetitive tasks is just a reminder of how good God has been to me. I'm also reminded and challenged to see each task as an opportunity to glorify the Creator. When I find myself in a pool of pity, crying "recognize me, recognize me!", I hear the Holy Spirit gently remind me that it's NOT about me.

Praise him for his mighty deeds; praise him according to his excellent greatness!
Psalm 150:2

Gosh, I'm struggling for a post, aren't I?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello Jawan! I like your posts! Chores I like doing (PP - pre-pregnancy!) are dusting, cleaning the counters in the sinks and bathrooms, vacuuming, sweeping, and mopping. Chores I hate doing, even now, laundry, unloading the dishwasher, ironing - I've maybe used our iron 3 times since we've been married, and cleaning the bathrooms - they seem to be the dirtiest rooms in the house.

Now that I'm pregnant, I do very little cleaning and it drives me nuts to sit there and see my dirty house staring back at me. I should nap more.

Pamela J Pierce, RDN, LD said...

A chore I love to do is ironing (I think of the family member I am ironing for, their needs and things to pray for them). I will cook for you if you will sweep my floors :-)

Heather said...

You and I are MUCH alike! :) And I HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE ironing! but...I'll iron fabric for sewing until the cows come home! Weird!
PS I read your blog often too! LOL

Laura said...

Enjoying the routine -- when I read that in your post, I was reminded of this quote I found the other day.

"[Children] want things repeated and unchanged. They always say, 'Do it again'… [It is] grown-up people [who] are not strong enough to exult in monotony. But perhaps God is strong enough to exult in monotony. It is possible that God says every morning, 'Do it again' to the sun; and every evening, 'Do it again' to the moon…. The repetition in nature may not be mere recurrence; it may be a theatrical encore." G.K. Chesterton