Pages


jawanmcginnis (at) yahoo (dot) com

search box


Google This blog

Saturday, December 24, 2005

Our first Christmas Eve as four

All four of us ventured out tonight for our joint Christmas Eve service with the other PCA church here in Columbus. How wonderful and amazing it is to gather together! What fun it is to delight in Christ by celebrating his birth. We worshipped by singing several hymns and hearing many passages from the Bible. Our voices were united as we recited the Apostles Creed, confessing our belief. Mitch joined with three other teaching elders in leading the service and my heart overflowed with joy as I thanked God for giving me such a God fearing husband. It is really special to have given birth to Luke during this holiday season. I gaze upon my children and wonder why it is that God has chosen to bless me so.....then I hear his voice say, "Because I love you and want to give you good things". As we sang, I was moved by the thought of such a small baby whose birth and life was the greatest event ever. How sad that many then missed it and how few rejoiced. I think of the wise men who chose to go to the home of Mary and Joseph to worship Jesus instead of reporting back to King Herod. How brave and honorable! Of all the songs sung during this time of year, none speak to my heart quite like the lyrics of O Come, O Come, Emanuel:

O come, O come, Emanuel, and ransom captive Israel, That mourns in lonely exile here, until the Son of God appear. Rejoice, rejoice! Emanuel shall come to thee, O Israel.

O come, Thou Rod of Jesse, free Thine own from Satan's tyranny; From depths of hell Thy people save and give them victory o'er the grave. Rejoice, rejoice! Emanuel shall come to thee, O Israel.

O come, Thou Day-Spring, come and cheer our spirits by Thine advent here; And drive away the shades of night, and pierce the clouds and bring us light. Rejoice, rejoice! Emanuel shall come to thee, O Israel.

O come, Thou Key of David, come, and open wide our heavenly home; Make safe the way that leads on high, and close the path to misery. Rejoice, rejoice! Emanuel shall come to thee, O Israel.

No comments: