Pages


jawanmcginnis (at) yahoo (dot) com

search box


Google This blog

Friday, January 15, 2010

The best gift

This past Christmas, we agreed (Mitch's side of the family) to only purchase gifts for the five grandchildren. It was a lot of fun watching the little ones open presents that were chosen specifically for them from their aunt, uncle, and grandparents.

I didn't realize it, but Andrew and Luke noticed that the grown-ups didn't open anything for themselves. They have never mentioned this fact until tonight at bedtime. After closing the boys' bedroom door, I heard them call me back in for something.

LUKE: "Mom, we want to tell you something."

ME:
"Ok, what 'cha wanna say?"

ANDREW:
"Since you didn't get to open up anything at Christmas, we wanted you to know that you still got the best present of all. Us."

Really, it didn't sound haughty at all! They were genuine in knowing that family is always more important than any material possession. My heart melted and I knelt down beside each of their beds and told them how much I loved them and how God wonderfully created them.

Smiles, kisses, and hugs followed. That's an awesome way to say goodnight, huh?

No comments: